Juan Mateus is a London based Colombian artist who works with photography, mixed media and found objects, currently studying Fine Art at Central Saint Martins (UAL).
“Juan Mateus grew up in Colombia, with frequent visits to the magnificent open spaces of its countryside. He was classically trained in music from the age of five and moved to England at 20.
Early in life he developed an inclination and expression of the arts, inspired through his music and a love of ‘pop’ culture and fashion photography.
Today Juan is on an intimate visual voyage capturing images viewed from his heart. Naturally curious, a good humoured traveller – his street photographs reflect his contented solitude within the cityscape.”
“These pictures were amazing, I mean the composition was really interesting and the colours were great. Another photographer, I thought, assuming he’d just send me back bigger images but no, more iPhone pics. I suppose having a camera in your phone is kind of cool after all…”
“He both documents his life as it unfolds & contrives his images to further articulate his viewpoint as an observer, creating pictures that demonstrate his innate ability to capture the moments of serenity that populate the everyday.”
Matt Ryalls, Mono., 2011
“It takes an exceptional talent then, to break that mould and show us something different. Well that’s what Juan Mateus does with his extraordinary gallery of photographs entitled Home Sweet London.”
Elaine Sturgess, Birds On The Blog, 2012
“Juan intends for his work to encourage people into thinking about issues such as self-obsession, the emotional dynamics of relationships, politics and ‘the art world’ in a more light hearted and humorous fashion.”
– “Altered Realities”, Group Exhibition, Lethaby Gallery, London, February-March 2017
– “Intersection”, MiAL Independent Exhibition, Hoxton Arches, London, April-May 2016
– “look at #me”, Solo Exhibition (Mixed Media), Studio B, De Beauvoir, London, December 2015
– “my first Periscope exhibition LIVE! (recorded)”, YouTube, July 2015
– “Art In The House: Juan Mateus”, Solo Exhibition (Painting), Art House Crouch End, January and March 2015
– More Guys Hanging (Photography), Group Exhibition, The Strand Gallery, London, June 2011
– “Photography with an Oliver twist” by Elaine Sturgess, birdsontheblog, February 2012
– “FOUND” Mono.Zine Third Issue, July 2011
– “Images: Cameraphone?” picturesmusic.co.uk, July 2010